October 24, 2009

Chicken Corn Chowder to Warm You Up

Fall is the perfect time to try out new soup recipes for the upcoming winter. I've been perfecting our family's chili recipe and I think I finally have it ready to share...we will see later on this week.

But, I've also been experimenting with a lot of soup varieties. Soups are easy and affordable- and we could all use some savings in these times.

My friend Joann passed along her recipe for Chicken Corn Chowder to me to try on Facebook the other day and I made a pot last week. She said the recipe was easy, but I couldn't believe how easy it really was! This will be a recipe we keep on hand in my family for those quick and easy meal nights...which are just around the corner with the birth of our first son here in about 4 weeks.

I made a couple of substitutions to the recipe: I had leftover smoked chicken meat from the night before so I actually added about 2 cups of chicken, about 1 tsp. garlic powder, I used frozen chicken stock (I always save my stock and use it for soups later on), real bacon I had fried up earlier for breakfast and I added about 1 c. milk (I like a creamy soup).


Chicken Corn Chowder
by Joann
1 c. chicken, cooked and diced
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cans chicken broth
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
2-3 T. Hormel real bacon pieces
1/4 c. butter
1/2 onion, diced
2 medium red potatoes, diced w/skin on
2 T. fresh basil, chopped

Saute onion and potatoes in butter until soft. Meanwhile, combine soups and broth. Add chicken, corn and bacon. Stir in potatoes and onion. Add basil. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until hot and flavors are blended. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: