July 25, 2007

Dressed Up Pot Roast

Probably everyone has a recipe for a pot roast, but it’s always nice to try something new. This is one way that I like to make pot roast from time to time. I get tried of the same recipe for pot roast, so I try mixing things up in my house.

Plus, this recipe fits my schedule in the summertime. Our house is very busy in the summer (gardening, work and my travel schedule, fishing, family) I am sure everyone has a very hectic schedule as well. This recipe lets me relax when I get home and get food on the table quick.

How do you make pot roast for your family?

Dressed Up Pot Roast
by Lane

Pot roast, about 3 pounds, chuck arm or shoulder, bottom round, or similar cut
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup apple cider or red wine
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon fresh oregano
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon celery salt
salt and pepper to your liking

Trim beef roast of excess fat and cut to fit crockpot, if necessary; place in the slow cooker (may use a cooking bag for this). Combine all remaining ingredients; pour over the roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.

Serve roast sliced with gravy and new potatoes from the farmers’ market. I also like to take some broth and boil pasta in the broth and make beef noodles. My mother always did this and it makes another great side to the pot roast.

Note: To make gravy pour the broth into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Reduce by about 1/4 then gradually add a smooth mixture of 2 tablespoons of flour and about the same amount of cold water. I stir the flour and water mixture in slowly until the mixture is thickened to my liking.

No comments: