April 11, 2010

The Perfect Ending

I swear the older I get the faster the weeks go...it seems like it was Monday just yesterday. Guess they are right, "time flies when you're having fun." The weather in the Ozarks is amazing and I thank God for living back home in the south. The trees are budding out and the warm breeze is the perfect ending to a wonderful week!


I started the week off at my parents on the farm for some interviews with some local farmers for upcoming articles and ended the week doing some much needed landscaping. (Which BTW my mother told me how happy she was that I lived so close now...she said it was like she had her daughter back home. I almost cried bc it made me so happy!)

Our new house had barely any landscaping (which is nice - meant we didn't have to remove any old plants that I didn't like). We spent all day yesterday outside digging holes, planting and mulching. We still aren't done though. I still need to incorporate some hostas and day lillies into the mix, plus whatever annuals I decide to plant.

I'd like to find a local nursery in or around Hollister (so if anyone has any suggestions let me know). Otherwise, I'll be headed to the farmers' market in Springfield.

Here's an updated photo of our little man! Hard to believe he'll already be five months in a week- he's such a little hambone. His newest discovery is his toes, which he has taken to sucking on. I was worried about this at first, but read that it's perfectly normal. But, usually babies don't start the toe sucking until month 6. You can bet that I make sure his little pigs are very clean!

Here's a recipe I pulled off a 100 mile diet blog that we recently made. The leftover chicken makes for great chicken salad the next day!

Shallot Rub for Roast Chicken (enough for a small bird)
2 shallot cloves
2 garlic cloves
1 large stalk rosemary, leaves removed
4 T butter
2 T olive oil
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper

Combine all ingredients in a food processor, and pulse until well combined.

No comments: