April 15, 2010

The Debate: Oven Roast or Crock-Pot

Everyone has an opinion on this debate: Oven roast or Crock-Pot roast. I've cooked roast in the oven and in the Crock-Pot and I have to say that nothing beats a roast cooked the old fashioned way in the oven. The taste is so much better and it's really not any more difficult.

(PHOTO: Loving that he can now sit in his big boy chair to eat his cereal. today Caston was all giggles.)

I used to throw a roast in the Crock when I worked out of home bc I thought it made my life easier (and it did a few nights). But, you can also cook a roast in the oven at a very low setting and cook it while you are at work just as easy.

But, I won't argue with anyone of this debate. I will suggest that if you are a fan of a Crock roast you just try my oven recipe and then tell me which you like best.

I did some experimenting with my roast recipe earlier this week....and we have a winner.

Lane's Oven Roast
1 (3-4 lb) roast
2 cups dry red wine (Merlot)
2 cups of tea
3 beef stock cubes
4 Bay leaves
4 stalks of celery, plus the celery leaves (roughly chopped)
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
3 carrots, roughly chopped
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
4 garlic cloves, diced
1 tsp. salt
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. ground peppercorns
1/2 tsp. Thyme, chopped

Sear the roast in a cast iron skillet with about 2 T. of olive oil in the bottom of skillet. This is the key to a good oven roast. Using a cast iron skillet will give you the very best sear- keeping the moisture of the roast.

Place all ingredients in large baking dish with a top. Lay the seared roast on top and be sure the veggies lay around the roast. Take some of the liquid and drizzle it over the roast. Sprinkle the roast with a little more salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for about 3 1/2 hours or until roast is done. The roast will be done with you can stick it with a fork and it falls apart.

NOTE- All ovens cook differently. Watch the roast so you do not over cook it.

I always know when my roast is ready because the entire house smells delicious. Funny, I know- but true!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. I've been looking for one that is done in the oven. I have made several in my crock pot but they don't taste like the one my late mother used to make every Sunday in her navy roasting pan.

I am wondering what I could substitute for the wine? Any suggestions?

Lane said...

First, why do you want to subst. it? If it's bc you don't drink...not to worry. When cooking with alcohol it cooks out completly.

But, you could just skip it all together. I just add it for another depth of taste.