April 18, 2010

Another Day, Another Story

Our son has been persistent on waking up at 4:30 am every morning the past week- which before he slept till at least 5:30 am. He's teething so, I'm sure that has a little to do with it. But, we've been trying to make him hold off for a feeding 10 minutes extra each morning. (That's what I've read to do...but I've learned that the so-called expert books don't know it all.)

My husband was out of town one night this week and Caston woke up crying like no other...nothing would make it better so I made a bottle for him. (He's been switched over to formula now.) He went to town eating...when Caston is hungry you better watch out! I usually burp him when he's half way through, so I proceed to do so. But, he just would not burp and his little belly was so tight! (Caston has acid reflux very bad...so it sometimes take forever to get him to burp.)

He wouldn't burp and was screaming by this time bc all he wanted was his food. So, we started feeding again. After he finished he was completely satisfied. I laid him on my shoulder and he laid his head down gently and was cooing. (Nothing is more sweet than a baby cooing.)

Then is came.

On big ole loud, nasty, hard burp! I mean LOUD...

And the chair, my back, my hair and my neck was covered in baby puke. (We call Caston "Mr. Puke" around the house...his reflux makes him spit up a lot and even hours after a feeding.)

I couldn't believe I was sitting in living room at 5 am covered in puke...funny thing Caston didn't have a drop of spit up on him. Just my luck right. I had to laugh...I mean my husband was gone, it was the wee hours of the morning and I was covered in puke. I was just thankful that our furniture was leather, not cloth.

Oh, what we go through for our children, so that someday they can grow-up and become teenagers and forget all the things their parents did for them. The sacrifices they made, the many nights they stayed up with us when we had a cold, those blow-out diapers, the puke, the sleeplessness...the list goes on and on.

Wait. I need to call my parents and thank them. You should do the same.

If you are really trying to tell mom how much you appreciate all she's done for you...try these Chocolate Cupcakes. You are sure to make her day! (BTW I lived off these when I was pregnant...so good.)

Chocolate Cupcakes
from JoyofBaking.com
Makes about 16 cupcakes

1/2 cup (50 grams) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 cup (240 ml) boiling hot water
1 1/3 cups (175 grams) all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
4 ounces (120 grams) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup (150 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups (160 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Chocolate Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly butter, or line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a small bowl stir until smooth the boiling hot water and the cocoa powder. Let cool to room temperature.

In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Then in the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat only until incorporated. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.

Fill each muffin cup two-thirds full with batter and bake for about 16-20 minutes or until risen, springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost with icing. You can either spread the frosting on the cupcakes with a small spatula or if piping, use a large Wilton 1M open star tip to make lovely swirls.

Chocolate Frosting: Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the chocolate and beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and glossy (about 2 -3 minutes).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your early morning adventure takes me back to when my son used to spit up right before I was ready to leave for work. He also used to pat me on my shoulder and there was many a day I arrived at work and then noticed a peanut butter hand print on my shoulder.

My son is thirty and it's the little things he remembers more than anything. The small rituals make for lasting memories!