April 13, 2007

Hush Puppies for Your Fish Fry

After my post about Cooking Your Catch I was asked about a good hush puppie recipe so here it is.

This is my grandmother’s recipe that I was raised on in my home. There is no other recipe that even touches these hush puppies. I have made one change to the original recipe however. I like to add about 1/3 cup of corn to the batter, gives a little extra bite to this wonderful side dish.

With summer on its way….it’s time for crappie fishing and I can’t wait.

[PHOTO of Hush Puppies]

Grandma's Hush Puppies
by Lane

½ c. ap flour
1 ½ c. corn meal (1/3 yellow, 2/3 white)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1 egg
¾ c. milk
1/3 cup corn
3 scallions with green tops

Mix ingredients together in order and fry in bacon or fish grease.

No comments: