April 11, 2007

Shrimp and Lemon Spaghetti

Two of my favorite foods: Pasta and seafood.

One day while exercising I was watching the Food Network (yes I watch the Food Network while I work out…silly I know) and Rachel Ray was on. Now, I’m not a huge RR fan, but she was making lemon spaghetti….”Hum, very interesting” I thought. I just had to try it.

One thing that goes great with any type of seafood is lemon. So, I thought I would try making the dish and topping it with shrimp scampi.

My recipe is different in some ways to RR, mainly in the way it is cooked. This spaghetti is like an Alfredo sauce, infused with lemon. It’s very fresh and tasty. I started adding some bell peppers to the dish also, mainly for some more color.

This is one of my absolute favorite meals I make for my husband and I.

Shrimp Scampi & Lemon Spaghetti
by Lane

Salt
1 pound spaghetti
4 T. butter
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or just use garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 lemons, juiced and zested or 4 T. lemon juice
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Parsley and basil flakes, ½ tsp of each

Bring your pasta to a boil and be sure to salt it. Cook according to directions.
In another pot melt butter, garlic and red pepper flakes. After the pasta has boil for about 8 minutes add a cup of the water from the pasta water to the butter mixture. Add cream and lemon juice and season with all seasonings (to suit your own taste). Remove from heat and add cheese and toss mixture with the drained pasta. Let the pasta and sauce sit, tossing occasionally.

While sauce is setting….cook your shrimp.

Shrimp Scampi

1 pound raw shrimp, shells and tails removed.
1 T. parsley
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
3 T. butter
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced

Heat large skillet and belt the butter. Add shrimp, peppers and season with seasonings. Cook and toss shrimp around to coat with butter. Cook until shrimp are pink. DO NOT OVERCOOK SHRIMP.

Remove and drain excess butter from shrimp.

Give pasta one more last toss and plate some and top it with some shrimp.

Serve with crusty French bread and salad. Makes great leftovers!

No comments: