May 17, 2006

The Eggplant an amazing food

Somewhere down the line of recipes exchanges and cookbooks I came across this recipe. I wish I could remember where it came from, but I can't.

Italian food is my passion, except for baking. I used to eat at this little Italian restaurant with my husband while I was still in college and I would always get the eggplant. It was the perfect meal.

The recipe almost mimics the same meal I would have in that restaurant. And, it's even better because it's made at home.

Italian Stuffed Eggplant

serves 4
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
1 tsp. rosemary
1-1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. oregano
2 cups boiling water
2 small eggplants
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup grated parmesan
1 cup prepared tomato sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
Extra virgin olive oil
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Combine bulgur and basil in a small saucepan. Pour boiling water over the mixture. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes. Combine pine nuts, parmesan, garlic, scallions, capers, rosemary, and oregano in a large bowl. Cut eggplants in half. Scoop out most of the pulp, leaving an approximately 1/2-inch rim all the way around. Dice the pulp. Add to the pine nut mixture.

After 30 minutes, drain the bulgur in a strainer. Press out excess water. Let it sit five minutes to cool. Add to the pine nut mixture. Fork through to combine. Add the egg and combine. Lightly coat a 9 x 13 baking dish with olive oil. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom. Place the eggplant halves in the dish. Divide the pine nut mixture among the eggplant halves. Drizzle with olive oil. Spoon the remaining tomato sauce over the eggplants. Bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until the diced eggplant pieces and the eggplant shells are soft. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the eggplant and serve.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

This recipe looks great...too bad my eggplant went bad 2 days ago. I feel horrible tossing it, but I'll better plan next time with this recipe!

Thanks!

Crystal