July 3, 2010

Spinach Baby Food

So, it begins...our son is crawling! And, he's fast- too fast. Life is getting ready to get real interesting I can already tell. Baby gate installed- check. Outlet covers in- check. Breakables put away- check. Bring it on!

Here's one of his new tricks to please his parents or anyone that will watch. He even displayed his clapping skills to all the vendors today at the farmers' market. We bought some produce, meat and bread today. Some of the produce will be used for Caston's homemade baby foods.

I've been experimenting with baby food purees the past couple months. I wanted to make Caston's food - making his food is healthier and better for him, not to mention- EASY. Plus, it's farmers' market season and I'm able to shop local and make foods that are freshly picked from local farmers I know. What more could a mother ask for?

Caston's favorite foods are asparagus, spinach, salmon, avocado and blueberries. He has some blueberries from Persimmon Hill Farm the other night when we went out to do some picking.

Here's a great puree that is packed full of nutrients for your growing baby!

Spinach and Sweet Potato Puree
1 bag of spinach, cooked
1 sweet potato, cooked, peeled and cubed
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp of olive oil

Cook spinach and sweet potatoes. Place in a food processor along with garlic and olive oil and puree. Spoon into ice cube trays, cover with plastic wrap and freeze. After frozen place in freezer bag and use within 1 month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great and healthy recipe. I've been reading your blog for awhile now, and since I'm pregnant with my first I've been keeping a look out for baby food ideas. Great idea!