February 10, 2010

Winter Squash Soup

The weather has been extra oridnary this year- we have seen so much snow and bitterly soup wind chills here in Missouri.

(PHOTO: Here's a view from our back porch this past snow storm...it's like a winter wonderland. So thankful to live in the country.)

My advice on to how to tackle cold weather- warm up with a cup of soup! That's what my mother used to say when I woudl come in from building snowmen or doing chores on the farm with dad.

I'm done to my last couple of garden grown Butternut Squash. (I know how sad.) I grow a lot of winter veggies in my garden to last me at least part way through the winter months.

We grow a lot of our own food at the McConnell and Baldwin houses- farm raised beef, an assortment of vegetables and berries...and if we don't grow it, we buy it local when possible.

It's nice knowing where my food comes from and how it was raised. Plus, it just makes you feel better knowing you are supporting your local Missouri farmers!

Hope you enjoy this winter soup recipe as much as my family does!

Butternut Squash Soup
2 tbs. butter
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 potato, peeled and diced
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
3 cans (14.5 oz. each) chicken broth
½ c. honey
½ tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
½ tsp salt
1 tsp. pepper

In large pot, melt butter, stir in onions and garlic. Cook and stir until browned (5 minutes). Stir in carrots and celery and cook until tender (5 minutes.) Stir in potatoes, squash, chicken broth, honey, and thyme. Bring to boil and simmer for 35 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Place mixture into a food processor and mix till smooth. Return pureed soup to pot and season with salt and pepper.

No comments: