May 4, 2009

The True Way to a Pregnant Woman’s Heart

I have discovered the way to any pregnant woman’s heart - that’s right. And there’s no rhyme or reason to it.

I was making Red Velvet Cupcakes the other night for a co-workers wedding shower when I discovered the way to my heart- Red Velvet Cake! After frosting one of the delicate little bright red cupcakes with loads of homemade cream cheese icing I decided that I needed to taste one of my homemade treats- just to be sure that it was kitchen approved.

As I slowly enjoyed the first bite my taste buds came alive! WOW- Red Velvet cake had never tasted so good. I finished eating the cupcake and began to ice the rest of my cupcakes. My husband was laughing at me- knowing that I would just have to go back for one more cupcake eventually. (And he was right)

I iced a few more cupcakes, then put a glass in the freezer. I iced some more cupcakes and then decided it was time for another cupcake- paired alongside my frozen glass of milk. WOW!

I ended up having three cupcakes that night and two frozen mugs of milk- but it was so worth it!

Here is the recipe for the Red Velvet Cake (which by the way is now officially my favorite cake). This is a wonderful recipe because the cake calls for buttermilk. I also get cake recipes that call for buttermilk because the buttermilk makes the cake crumbs so soft and flaky. Hope your taste buds agree that this cake is a winner.


Red Velvet Cake
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring- don't skimp on this or your cake will not have that pretty red color
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 -8 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
1 - 8 ounce tub of Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners' (icing or powdered) sugar, sifted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack in center of oven. Butter two - 9 inch round cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper. Set aside.In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.

In bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft (about 1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. In a measuring cup whisk the buttermilk with the red food coloring. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter.

Working quickly, divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and smooth the tops with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25 - 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting off the pan. Once the cakes have completely cooled, wrap in plastic and place the cake layers in the freezer for at least an hour. (This is done to make filling and frosting the cakes easier.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now. That will get-you fat, fat, fat.

Lane said...

I'm preggo- so that's the point!