May 6, 2009

Morel Mushrooms…More for the Taking

I have found the draw back to being pregnant- not being able to eat morel mushrooms.

I used to go mushroom hunting every spring with my dad in search of the biggest morel mushroom bag one could find. I never ate morels as a kid or even as a young adult- but after I entered college I became more of an adventurous eater.

The appearance of morels varies from year to year, depending on the timing of spring weather, soil temperature and moisture. Many days of warm temperatures following a rain may trigger the emergence of morels.

I didn’t go mushroom hunting – but I did buy some beautiful morels this past Saturday at my area Cole County Farmers’ Market. My husband was talking to a few of the vendors at the market while I was finishing up some shopping and I came back with some mushrooms and said, “I can’t wait to fry these up tonight.”

I then found that I would not be enjoying in these delicate shrooms- as I was informed by both my husband and a farmer that us pregnant women shouldn’t eat them. I thought they were saying that at first- just so my husband could have more for the eating- but then found out from a friend that it was true. (Thanks Lubbering)

But, the morels didn’t go to waste- I still cooked them up and my husband ate every single one of them!

If you’ve never tried morels before here is a quick easy recipe for the beginner.

Fried Morels
By Lane

8-10 morels, cleaned and cut longwise in half
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp parsley
Butter, for greasing sauté pan

Melt butter in pan over medium heat. In a small bowl mix flour, salt, pepper, paprika and parsley. Dip the already moist morels in the flour and press mixture onto the mushrooms. Drop into pan.

Cook until golden brown, turning only once.

2 comments:

Dana said...

I love, love, love morel mushrooms. However, I don't know where to look for them...so, I rarely go. I didn't know pregnant women couldn't eat them either....

Lane said...

Yes, sad but true. You can find them at a lot of the local farmers' markets.