January 13, 2009

Cashew Chicken Anyone

One of my husband’s favorite foods is Chinese, but I’m not a lover of most all Chinese food. So, we make a compromise (I make him cashew chicken quite a bit at home). That way I can control what the meal will taste like.

Fellow blogger Sarah over at Front Porch Rocker had a great recipe for this dish that I’ve been varying each time I make it. Each person has different tastes, therefore any new recipe takes me about four times of making it to find exactly how I like to season, cook and prepare the recipe. Look at cooking like an adventure.

The best part of this meal – it’s pretty quick and makes incredible leftovers..which means less cooking during the work week for you!

Here are my adaptations of the original Cashew Chicken recipe. Also, I usually fry up a little more chicken because I love taking the leftover fried chicken for salads or in a tortilla roll up with lettuce, ranch dressing and cheese.

Cashew Chicken

Chicken
4 chicken breasts, thawed and cut into bite sized pieces
1 ½ cups flour
½ c milk2 egg
Salt and pepper, to taste
Dried Parsley
½ tsp. Paprika
½ tsp. garlic powder
Peanut Oil, for frying

To the flour add salt, pepper, parsley, paprika and garlic powder. Coat chicken in the flour mixture and let sit for 10 minutes. Heat oil in a large skillet (Med High). Mix the milk and eggs together in a small bowl. Dip the pieces of chicken in the milk mixture and then back into the flour. Place chicken in one layer in the skillet and fry until browned. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and lightly salt. Continue until all the chicken is fried.

Sauce
2 cups of water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
¼ tsp. ginger powder
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp cornstarch mixed in 1/4 c of cold water

Bring the water, bouillon, soy sauce, sugar, ginger and salt to a light boil. Add cornstarch mixture and stir constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.

To serve: Serve over a bed of rice and top the chicken with the sauce, some diced green onions or chives and cashews.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lane~I love Cashew Chicken!! I read your blog from Michelle's and I am going to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!!!
Meghan(1st floor W & M)

Anonymous said...

Cashew Chicken is my son's favorite Chinese dish. I can't wait to try this! Thanks and my Wok thanks you, too.

Allison said...

Yummmmy! I think I have a similar recipe... perhaps I'll have to do this again. Cashew chicken is definitely on my To Do list for this weekend's Springfield trip!

MKheart said...

Thank you so much for the recipe!! I have actually started to enjoy cooking a little more.

You are such an inspiration!

Sarah said...

This recipe makes it hard for me to order this at a restaurant because I never like it as well!!

Charlie said...

It's basically fried chicken with gravy!! But it's good.