December 19, 2008

Crock Pot Roast...Ready When You Get Home

Last night was an interesting one. As I was making dinner my husband came in the kitchen with about four tackle boxes of stick baits and just smiled at me. I asked what he was up to and he said, “It’s stick bait time.”

I knew what he meant. My folks are coming up today to spend the weekend and he is taking my dad to Lake Ozark for some winter fishing. My dad is also an avid fisherman, as my husband is.

I knew that the fish at LO must be hitting a stick bait, as then my husband proceeded to fill up one side of my kitchen sink with ice cold water and when I say ice cold, I mean he placed ice cubes in the already freezing water. Guess this helps reenact the water temperature at the lake?

He then starting taking out every stick bait and placing them in the freezing water to see if they would properly sink or float. If the baits do not sink properly and suspend in the water, he then takes some of the weight off the bait.

(FYI: These stick baits are some kind of fancy Japanese bait that are terribly expensive. When I say they are pricy, I mean like $15-$35 a bait!) I told him he better not loose any of them while fishing because we would have to take a loan out to replace all these fancy little stick baits he has. Of course I was just joking though.

Fisherman…got of love them!

Today’s recipe is one of our favorites in my house. It’s simple, quick and cooking at my house right now for when my parents and best gal pal Tyne show u tonight.

Crockpot Beef Roast
By Lane

1 beef roast (I like to use chuck roast)
1 onion, roughly chopped
4 beef bouillon cubes
1 T. parley flakes
1 T. garlic powder
½ tsp. basil, dried
½ tsp. Lowery’s seasoned salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 cup of small baby carrots
1 parsnip, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dry red wine (omit this if you don't have any on hand)

In a large crock pot, place the onions, carrots and parsnips. Place the beef cubes on top, then lay beef roast. Add all the seasonings and the seasonings. Fill crock up with water – to barley cover the roast with.

Place crock on low setting and cook from 7:30 am until 4:30 or 5:00 pm, depending on the size of the roast.

*After the roast is cooked, keep those wonderful juices! Make some gravy with it, boil some penne pasta in it. You can also use the juice to make some wonderful beef soup.

*If you cook pasta in the juice, the pasta will make it’s own gravy because the starch in the pasta thickens the broth up. I like to then place the pasta in a casserole dish and sprinkle with some tasty feta cheese.

* Or freeze the broth to use another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My son loves pot roast. I'm going to have to give this one a try. I've never used parsnips...it will be a new experience.