February 28, 2007

Working Women Meals

Being a working woman isn’t always the easiest life, especially if you have children. Then life is even more hectic with juggling dinner, school functions, your job, house chores, ect.

Paula Deen did a show awhile ago that was meals for working women, which I thought was perfect for today. Ms. Paula includes recipes for Baked Shrimp & Crab Salad, Easy Corned Beef & Cabbage and Hoe Cakes.

Corn Beef and Cabbage is one of my all-time favorite meals, as Paula’s hoe cakes are. Corn beef is one of the easiest meal to prepare and can be excellent leftovers that will last.

My recipe is much different than Paula’s, but I think it’s just as good and perfect for us that are on the go. Here’s my own recipe for Corn Beef & Cabbage.

Corned Beef & Cabbage

Corn Beef & Cabbage
By Lane


1 corned beef (I usually get a 3-4 pound one)
1 head of cabbage
2 T. butter
1 red onion, chopped, coarsely
1 parsnip, chopped
4-5 new potatoes, quartered
Seasoning packet with corned beef
Plus add 1 T. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 bay leaf

Place all veggies in large crock pot on low setting. Place corned beef on top and add all seasonings (including the packet that comes with the corned beef.)

Cook on low for about 9 hours. I usually put the crock on around 7:30 and turn it off when I get home about 5:00 pm. The meat will be so tender it will fall apart.

I like to serve this with a simple salad and dinner rolls.

No comments: