February 5, 2007

Cooking with Cola

In one of my Paula Deen magazines I came across a recipe for Cola Basted Ham. This recipe caught my attention because there were only two ingredients: the ham and 2 cokes.

Now, I work full-time, so anytime I can find a recipe that has only two ingredients, I am going to try it. I wasn’t convinced about the recipe though. I am “old-school” when it comes to cooking: meaning it takes lots of great seasonings, time and effort to make a great meal. But I proceeded to give it a try.

I am so glad I did because this ham is number 1 in my book. Try it the next time you have company over, the cola makes a perfect sweet and tasty glaze.

Cola Basted Ham
By Paula Deen

Yield: 20-30 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 to 18 minutes per pound


1 18-pound cured ham
2 cans cola

Place ham in a shallow roasting pan. Baste ham with cola and cover ham with foil. Cook at 325 degrees for 15 - 18 minutes per pound (internal temperature of 140 degrees). Spoon baste with cola every 30 minutes or so until done.

1 comment:

Jade Walker said...

If you like this, try Pop Pot Roast.

Ingredients:
1 (14.5oz) can stewed tomatoes
1 cup pop/cola
1 package of dry spaghetti sauce mix
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
3 lbs. beef chuck roast
2 tbsp. vegetable oil

In a large bowl, break up tomatoes in their juice. Stir in pop, spaghetti sauce mix, celery, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic salt. Stir until spaghetti sauce mix dissolves.

In a dutch oven, over medium high heat, brown beef in oil for 10 minutes on each side. Drain off excess fat. Pour tomato mixture over beef. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer slowly for about 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender.

Serve with mashed potatoes.