February 7, 2007

Berry Bread

The Red Raspberry Bread

One of my favorite things to eat is breads. French bread, beer bread, sweet breads, muffins, homemade rolls…I guess you could say I love my carbs!

I was in a “berry” mood over the weekend and decided to use up some red raspberries that were just sitting in my freezer. I love raspberries, although many people don’t appreciate the berry’s tartness. If you don’t like tart berries, then I would suggest using blueberries in this recipe. Other choices I like are cranberries, black berries (when in season), mixed berry assortment or even strawberries.

You can view a LARGER PHOTO of the bread also.

Red Raspberry Bread or Muffins
By Lane


1 stick melted butter
½ c. milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 ¼ c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 c. berries, thawed
Sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl mix together butter, milk, eggs and vanilla. In a larger mixing bowl sift all dry ingredients. Pour liquid mix into dry ingredients and mix. The batter will be slightly lumpy. Add berries and fold in gently.

You can either bake this as a loaf of bread or as muffins. Grease whatever baking utensil you decide to use, place mixture in and sprinkle the top of the batter with more sugar. I like to use sugar in the raw to dust with also, but white sugar is fine.

For muffins: bake 12 minutes or until done.

For bread: bake about 1 hour or until a knife inserted comes out clean.

No comments: