January 17, 2007

My Soup is On

Last week I made a huge pot of soup that my husband and I ate on for three days. I love meals that allow me to take a couple nights off from cooking. The soup also fed some of my fellow co-workers. I brought Cyndi and Julie in a bowl for their lunches one day because I wanted them to try the soup out….they both returned their bowls to me empty.

I took a recipe from Paula Deen’s Country Cookbook to originally start this recipe and each time I’ve made it I’ve changed techniques and seasonings and I finally have it exactly how I like it.

Note: To those who are already intimidated by the very long list of ingredients, don’t be. All these seasonings and ingredients go into one pot. I’ve given recipes before to some of my friends that have very long lists of ingredients and they say, “I can’t make this.” Anyone can make this soup, I guarantee it!

And if you’re in the mood for something to warm up your belly tonight and you’re just not feeling soup….there is always my White Lightening Chili.

Winter Soup

Winter Beef Veggie Soup
By Lane


Stew beef (found in grocery store by all packaged beef)
4 quarts cold water
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans of stewed tomatoes
1 large chopped onion
3 tablespoons dried parsley
3 beef bouillon cubes
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon basil
2 small cans tomato sauce
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper or peppercorns if you have them
2 teaspoons salt
2 bay leaves
2 cans cut green beans
1 can white beans
1 can corn
1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni

In a large pot add water, tomatoes, onions, stew beef and all seasonings. The only things you will not add are the veggies and pasta. Bring to a boil and cover pot, reduce heat to medium and cook for 2 hours. Stir occasionally.

Add the remaining vegetables and the macaroni and stir to distribute the ingredients. Simmer for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally. Check your seasonings here…you may need more salt or pepper, depending on your taste.

No comments: