January 19, 2007

Meals that Last

I've talked about how my soup lasts for a couple of days, which I really appreciate because it gives me the night off from cooking. Let’s face it – even if you love to cook – there are nights when all you want to do is relax and do nothing.

I’ll admit it! Me, the one that loves to cook. Some nights when I’m drained from work by the end of the day, I’ll call my husband and ask him to pick up take-out. That only happens about twice a month though.

Meals that last a couple of nights are great family meals and are much more affordable. The Winter Beef Veggie Soup from yesterday is a perfect example. Between my husband and me, we could eat on that soup for three lunches and dinners, changing up the sides of coarse.

Other great “meals that last”:
Corn Beef and Cabbage
McConnell Holiday Meal
BBQ Beef
Chili
Stews and Soups
Homemade Pizzas Pies
Large Pot Pies

So, I came across this recipe for a Shepherd’s Pie. I had heard of this type of pie before, but never actually made it, so I took a shot at it.

Very tasty. I did however add a few things: 1 Tablespoon of garlic powder on the meat mixture, plus some cumin and parsley. In the potato mixture I added chives and a few shakes of garlic powder also.

Shepherds Pie

Shepherd's Pie from Leftover Beef Roast and Mashed Potatoes
By Paula Deen


1 small onion, peeled and chopped
14 tablespoons butter, divided (1 stick plus 3/4 stick)
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
Salt and black pepper
8 to 10 medium red new potatoes
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups instant biscuit mix
1 1/2 cups niblet corn or mixed vegetables, prepared according to package directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beef Layer:
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion in 2 tablespoons butter. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.

Potato Layer:
Peel and slice potatoes 1/4-inch thick. Place in a saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain potatoes and transfer to a mixing bowl. Whip potatoes with an electric mixer, mixing until moderately smooth. Don't over beat them; a few lumps are nice. Add 1/2 cup heated milk, 1 stick butter, and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Whip again until mixed. Adjust thickness by adding more milk, if desired.

Biscuit Layer:
Combine biscuit mix and 1 1/2 cups of milk. The mix should be thinner than that of normal biscuit mix but not runny.

Spray a 9 by 9 by 2-inch pan (or any similar casserole dish) with cooking spray. Layer mashed potatoes halfway up the sides of the dish. Next, spread a layer of corn or mixed vegetables on top of the potatoes. Then add the layer of meat. Pour the biscuit mix over the meat. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over top. Bake for approximately 35 to 45 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.

No comments: