December 15, 2006

Cooking for Our Pets- New

My husband baked my Molasses Spice Crinkle Cookies on Wednesday night. Yes, you read this right, my husband baked the cookies not me.

His company, FCS Financial (used to be Farm Credit Services of America) held a Holiday Cookie Contest on Thursday and Charlie wanted to enter my cookies. I laid out all the ingredients for him on the kitchen counter and he went to town measuring, creaming the butter and sugar, and blending the batter. He hand rolled each ball of dough carefully, to be sure that every cookie was of the exact size and uniformity. He set the timer each batch and carefully watched over the cookies for the last minute or so to be sure he got them out in the nick of time.

I was VERY impressed! Each cookie was pulled out of the oven at the proper time, he didn’t burn a single cookie and all the cookies were uniform.

Molasses cookie

I did help him on the presentation part of his cookie entry. I tied together three bundles of cinnamon sticks with raffia for him to lay around the plate of cookies and I also printed off the recipe on decorative paper which I then tied raffia on the corner of one side of the recipe card.

He took the cookies to work on Thursday and then I got a call Thursday afternoon from my husband.

“You won’t believe this,” he said. “I got 1st place.”

He was right, I thought he was teasing me. “No, seriously. I really got 1st place. I guess all your good cooking has rubbed off on me,” he said.

So, I am VERY proud of my husband. I told him I may have to hang up my baking mitts.

Congrats to all the winners of the FCS Holiday Cookie Contest.

I’ve been receiving a lot of emails from some of you that want to make Christmas presents for your four-legged friends. Maybe some special homemade dog treats?
It’s be awhile since I did a post on “Cooking for Our Pets,” so here is a new recipe your dogs are sure to enjoy. My two friends, Rudy and Lizzy, will agree that this recipe is perfect for the holidays.

Rudy and Lizzy Holiday Photo

Christmas Mint Cookies
from Dog Treats From Your Kitchen

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups bisquick
1/2 cup mint chopped leaves
1/4 cup milk
4 tablespoons margarine
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons corn syrup

1. Combine all ingredients in food processor, process until well mixed
2. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness.
3. Cut with holiday shaped cookie cutters, place on non-stick cookie pan.
4. Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Cool and store in air-tight container.

No comments: