September 8, 2006

This Pudding Takes it All

Have you ever had bread pudding? No? Then you are missing out. There are a lot of recipes for bread pudding out there…just go and Google bread pudding and see what pops up.

This pudding is a very old dessert that was known as the “poor man’s pudding” way back when it was made with stale bread. The English would moisten the bread with water, add some sugar and other spices and fruits and maybe candies if they had them.

Now, this pudding is made from lots of different breads such as croissant, French, brioche….any type of bread works. Another change to the recipe from then to now is that the bread is soaked in a rich custard mixture, instead of just water.

This recipe is my mother’s that she would serve every now and then at special meals. She would always vary this recipe with to add more flavor which such things such as nuts, dried fruits, alcohol, zests, chocolate and fresh fruit. You can really be creative with this recipe and add your favorites to add more depth and texture to the pudding.

Mom’s Day Old Croissant Bread Pudding
by my mother

Yummy Pie


3 extra-large whole eggs
8 extra-large egg yolks
5 cups half-and-half
4 tablespoons of melted butter, cooled
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 croissants, preferably stale, sliced horizontally
1 cup raisins and chocolate chips
1 large peeled and cored tart apple, diced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mid-sized bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half, butter, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Set aside.

Slice the croissants in half horizontally. In a 10 by 15 by 2 1/2-inch oval baking dish, distribute the bottoms of the sliced croissants, then add the raisins apples, and chips, then the tops of the croissants (brown side up), being sure the raisins, apple and chocolate chips are between the layers of croissants or they will burn while baking. Pour the custard over the croissants and allow to soak for 15 minutes, pressing down gently.

Place the pan in a larger one filled with 1-inch of hot water. Cover the larger pan with aluminum foil, tenting the foil so it doesn't touch the pudding. Cut a few holes in the foil to allow steam to escape.

Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 40 to 45 more minutes or until the pudding puffs up and the custard is set. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.

4 comments:

Jean said...

It's been forever since I've had bread pudding!! I think I like the custard on top the best. Ahh..the memories this recipe envokes. :)

Teresa said...

I think I'll give this a try tonight. I love bread pudding and I haven't had it in ages. Thanks for the recipe

Teresa said...

I think I'll give this a try tonight. I love bread pudding and I haven't had it in ages. Thanks for the recipe

Lane said...

Oh, I'm so excited by both of your responses. I knew this recipe would hit home.

Be creative and see what becomes and let me know how things turn out!