September 11, 2006

Another Breakfast Casserole

I am a big believer in getting a good start to my mornings. I think the best way to do that is eat breakfast, which many of us don’t do any longer. My mother would always make me sit down and eat breakfast every morning. I can remember even when I was in high school, she would make me eat something before I left for school.

I don’t eat a huge breakfast, unless it’s on the weekends because I just don’t’ have the time to do so. I usually always have a bowl of oatmeal every morning along with a piece of fruit.
But, on the weekends when my husband and I are at home…I bring out some of my favorite recipes. One of the best recipes to make when you have guests staying with you is a breakfast casserole. I’ve posted a lot of breakfast recipes before…Breakfast Bacon Casserole, Buttermilk Biscuits, and Hashbrown Sausage Bake.

Here is yet another great way to a healthy start to your morning.

Breakfast Morning Casserole
by Lane

Vegetable cooking spray
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
3 Tbsps all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
6 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup nonfat sour cream alternative
1 pkg. (32 oz.) southern style hash brown potatoes (thawed)
Paprika
5 large eggs - beaten
8 slices bacon

Take a large saucepan and spray with cooking spray. Heat to medium. Saute for 4 minutes the onion and bell pepper. Add flour, salt, and mustard, stir. Cook for 1 minute and then remove from heat.

Gradually add milk and broth, stirring until blended. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add cheese and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Blend in sour cream.

Combine cheese mixture and potatoes, stir well. Spoon into a 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour eggs evenly over top of mixture. Add crumbled bacon and paprika on top.

Bake covered at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, then uncovered for 25-35 minutes

No comments: