July 11, 2006

Pasta Night Tonight

Yummy Pie

I saw this recipe on the Martha Stewart website and have had it in my "to try" recipes. I made it last night and had it ready in no time for dinner. I made a nice salad to go along with it for my husband and me. I didn't use the Kalamata olives though, because I don't usually have them around the house, so I replaced with regular black olives (good quality ones). I was surprised how easy and delicious the recipe was. You only cook the tomatoes just until the juices begin to comes out...and I used roma tomatoes right out of my garden.

Tomato and Olive Penne
by Martha Stewart

Salt and pepper
1 pound penne or other short pasta
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2/3 pound cherry tomatoes (2 cups), halved or quartered
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook penne according to package instructions until al dente, about 13 minutes. Drain.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, until just golden, about 1 minute. Add cherry tomatoes, oregano, crushed red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring, until tomato juices run, about 3 minutes.

Add penne, olives, parsley, and 1/4 cup Parmesan to the skillet and toss to combine. Serve with more cheese if desired.

No comments: