May 24, 2006

It's grilling time

It's officially summer! Well, at least in my neck of the woods in Missouri. The weather is humid and hot, with the temperatures nearing the upper 80's.

That means one thing....It's Grilling Time!

One of my favorite things to eat is BBQ chops. My husband handles the grill around our house and he always cook them up "just right."

This recipe is one he and I came up with one night and it has become one of our favorites around the kitchen.

BBQ Pork Chops
adapted from Paula Deen's recipe

2 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup vinegar
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 cup chopped onion or 3 tablespoons onion powder
2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoons red pepper
3 cloves garlic or 2 tablespoon powdered garlic
10 (1-inch thick) pork chops

Combine all ingredients except for the pork chops and bring to a rolling boil. Remove from the heat and cool. Refrigerate sauce overnight to blend flavors and let everything set in.

Start your grill.

Apply sauce to chops with basting brush or paint brush. Grill to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-well. Baste with sauce each time they are turned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look finger-licking good. Is it better to use fresh ingredients than the dried ones?

Lane said...

Yes! If I can I try to alwasy use fresh ingredients. You can really taste the difference.

I have an herd garden in my back yard so it's always nice to walk outside and pick my own herbs. You can always freeze a lot of them.