January 14, 2011

Save Time Make Soup

My New Year's Resolution...to keep my cooking blog better updated. I've never had a problem with this in the past, but between running around after pea pod and starting a new job as an editor for a farm publication - let's just say something has to give.


But, I've finally got life back on track. It took me awhile to get over the new learning curve and balancing my work life and home life. I work at home most days, therefore that has been a struggled trying to know when to step away from the "home office."

Cooking is still my "get away" from life. I'm always amazed how I can come home, layout fresh vegetables, meat and seasonings and life becomes that much easier. Oh, and don't forget the wine! ;)

To help manage our crazy life my wonderful husband has been cooking a little more too (he's a saint...he truly is) and I've been making HUGE batches of soup. Then, I'll freeze the soup in smaller portions and we can pull it out anytime and instant meal!

A new soup I've been working on is my Chicken Corn Chowder. This soup really does the trick on a cold day paired along some toasty french bread. Let me know what you think.

Chicken Corn Chowder
by Lane
2 large chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (season the chicken before cooking)
1 cup of red onion, chopped
6 cups of new potatoes, diced
5 cups water
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 tsp Thyme
Cooked and crumbled slices of bacon
2 cloves garlic
Sprinkles of crushed red pepper
2 cans evaporated milk
2 cans of creamed corn
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot add butter and saute onions and garlic. Do not burn the garlic. Add potatoes and water and cook until the potatoes are tender. Add the rest of the ingredients and reheat to a slight boil and continue cooking for 15 minutes.

No comments: