September 9, 2010

Homemade Pizza Pie

Around our house just about everything is homemade- pie crusts and fillings, mac n' cheese, baby food, lemonade- even the pizza!


I was on a recent visit in Dora for an upcoming cooking article when I tasted the very best homemade pizza crust from Marty Uhlmann.
Marty is a family friend that I remember as I child as making the best pies! My parents and the Uhlmann family would have club every Saturday with other farm families, where the men would talk politics and the women would bring some of the best homemade country fixins' and us kids would play in the hay barn or the creek. Good memories....

I interviewed Marty for the article and she had prepared three recipes- pizza, Lemon Meringue Pie and a Custard Pie. (Which I had a piece of each- you know me- I never turn down good food!)

The pizza crust taste like homemade rolls-it's amazing and fairly easy.

During the interview I recall Marty stating: "Back then we didn't go to the store to get a pizza- we made it!" I laughed, it's funny how things change. But, around our house we still do it the old-fashioned way I guess. (Wouldn't have it any other way either.)

Enjoy this pizza and let me know how you like it. This recipe will make two pizzas- we freeze the other one, so there is always one on hand, then there's no need to go to the store.

Pizza
by Marty Uhlmann
Makes two crusts and two toppings

Crust:
1 pkg. yeast
2 Cups lukewarm water
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
7 Cups flour
1/4 Cup salad oil

Dissolve yeast in water and mix. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Dough will be dry. Set in a warm spot and cover with a towel. Let the dough double in size. Meanwhile- make the topping.

Topping:
Pan fry the following ingredients:
1 lb. hamburger
1 lb. sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cups tomato paste
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 lb. grated cheese (1/2 mozzarella, 1/2 cheddar)

Place ingredients in large skillet (we use a cast iron skillet) and cook.

Punch dough down, split into two doughs and turn out on floured counter and roll the dough thin. (Remember this dough and topping will make two large pizzas.)

After rolling dough out, place in pizza pan and fold crust over and pinch to seal. Cover with towel and let it rest for 10 minutes. Add skillet mixture then add any of the following ingredients: olives, mushrooms, green peppers, pepperoni, smoked wieners and cover with cheese.

Bake at 425 degrees until crust is brown, approximately 25 min.

1 comment:

Bishop Abad said...

That sure looks good.