December 19, 2009

Making Fudge with Baby Caston

My life has truly changed....I used to be the ultimate "multi-tasker", but with a 1 month old I've learned that there are some things that I just can't do like I used too.


Each holiday I make homemade goodies for friends and neighbors. Things like fudge, pumpkin bread, candies and cookies. So, I put Caston down for a nap today and I knew I had some time to get some baking done- he always sleeps about 20 minutes after eating. WRONG!

I began making my Baldwin Family Fudge. I was in the middle of bringing the butter, sugar and milk to a soft ball (if any of you have made fudge you will understand) when Caston starting fussing. I thought - oh no! I couldn't leave the fudge because at this point in the cooking process it needed to be stirred the entire time until it reached the soft ball form. Caston began fussing more....."Oh come on fudge hurry the heck up," I was saying.

Now my little man was officially "irate." I left the fudge, ran to Caston's room and picked him up and returned back to the fudge. At this point I was stirring the fudge, bouncing Caston and trying to keep the pacifier in his mouth- I was a sight to see I'm sure.

It wasn't working. Caston was mad. So, I put him in his car seat (he loves his car seat). I placed the car seat on the floor next to me and was rocking it with my foot, while stirring the fudge- which by the way still hadn't reached the soft ball form. Why me!

It was somewhere in the middle of all this that I wonder what the heck I was thinking trying to do my annual holiday baking with a 1 month old! I officially learned my lesson! Maybe next year will work out better...
The fudge did get made, but it was a challenge to say the least!

So, if you are one of the lucky ones that get some of my annual fudge this year you can have a little chuckle because you know the story behind this sweet treat!
If you feel like making some fudge- here's our family recipe.

No comments: