February 21, 2008

Local Missouri Beer Bread

The weather in Missouri is crazy once again. Snow in the northern part, 2 inches of sleet, plus snow to come tonight for us in Central Missouri and lots of ice for those Missourians in the southern region of Missouri.

I’m just praying for April to come soon enough so I can spend some time outside in the dirt. I’ve been busy picking out my garden seed from Baker Creek Seeds and traveling all over Missouri for workshops, conferences and presentations for my work with the Dept of Ag. I’m ready for some relaxation, sunshine and warmer weather.

Here’s a quick and easy beer bread recipe to serve alongside some chili or soup on these cold winter nights. I like to add some herbs in the bread mixture…rosemary and thyme work very well.

Gluten Free Beer Bread
Combine in a large bowl:
3 cups gluten free flour*
3 tablespoons sugar
3½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt

Add to large bowl and stir well:
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 gluten free beer (12 oz.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour batter into a greased or parchment lined loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes.
Yield: one loaf

*A combination of gluten free flours usually gives the best result. Pick up a ready to use flour blend like Bob's Red Mill or use your favorite all-purpose mix. Keep it basic with a rice flour blend (2 cups brown rice flour, 3/4 cup potato starch, 1/4 cup tapioca starch) or spice it up with some mesquite meal. Great with gluten free oat flour, too.

1 comment:

Dana said...

I love beer bread. I have a recipe that is REALLY easy...and turns out pretty good:

3 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 beer
butter

Mix first three ingredients, pour into greased loaf pan. Pour melted butter on top of dough. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.