November 7, 2007

It's Pumpkin Time

It's about that time isn't it? Pumpkin time. The leaves are turning and there's a bit of a "nip" in the air.

If you are going to make pumpkin pie this year for Thanksgiving dinner you have to try using real homemade pumpkin puree. No canned pumpkin can't quite compare to the real thing.

Refer to a previous post on How to Process Pumpkins. It's easier than you might think.

Let me know if you think there is a difference or not in the taste...I bet you'll agree that the real thing is much better than any canned pumpkin.

This recipe is my mother's that she came up with years ago when my parents first married. My mother only used fresh pumpkin when she cooked.

Pumpkin Pie
2 Eggs
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Ginger
1/4 teaspoonNutmeg
1 1/2 C. Sugar
1 1/2 C. Fresh Pumpkin (key to making this pie the best it can be)
2 C. milk (1 5 oz can of evaporated milk fill rest with milk)

Mix well. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then turn oven down to 350 degrees. It will be done when you can insert a knife into the pie and the knife comes out clean.

Again, I can't stess how important it is to use only fresh pumpkin for this recipe. My father and I grow our own pumpkins and then process them. We have enough pumpkin left for the whole year. If you use pumpkins to decorate with in the Fall, process the pumpkin, don't waste it.

No comments: