March 26, 2007

Goulash Anyone?

I posted about my Beef-licous casserole a while ago and received some great comments from everyone.

My friend Cyndi had a great story to go along with her family’s version on my dish. I think we all probably have our own family versions of every meal.


Mom used to make a hamburger dish we called "goulash." Doesn't every family have their own version? It was a popular Friday supper after school and before basketball games. My cheerleader sister and basketball playing boyfriend loved it. It was also a hearty dish after we had all been out working cattle or hogs. There are variations, depending upon what you have on hand, and I often improvise just as she did. My husband loves it and it makes great leftovers.
Recipe:
Boil water and get macaroni started.
Brown 1 pound of hamburger in a skillet.
Add chunks of Velveeta cheese and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Once the meat and cheese mixture is warmed through and the cheese melted, your macaroni should be ready to drain. Mix drained macaroni into the meat/cheese mix. Salt and pepper. I usually add a drained small can of mushrooms.Best served
with a glass of milk that has been in the freezer for about 10 minutes. . .

Thanks for sharing Cyndi!

No comments: