November 14, 2006

Back Home on the Farm

As I have said in previous posts, I am a farm girl that was raised on a registered Charolais beef cattle operation, therefore in my family we ate a lot of beef.

In fact, beef was present at almost every meal in my family. My father believed if you were a beef operator, then you eat what you produce.

Whenever we eat out with my parents, my father almost always orders a steak. He thinks that by ordering and eating what he produces, raises and sells, then he is continuing to market his own product.

I also share the belief in supporting the ag sector you work and live for, but I also think it’s important to support the rest of the livestock ag industry as well….sheep, poultry, pork, ect.

Therefore, I make it custom in my home to purchase beef, pork and poultry, with the occasional lamb purchases. Yes, I prefer beef, but that is because of my rural roots and that will never change.

Now, my father on the other hand, very seldom have I seen him order rack of lamb or chicken in a restaurant. No, I take that back. I have never seen him order chicken in a restaurant. Although, he will occasionally purchase pork loins from one of my college friends though.

Will his preference for beef ever change? No, and that’s fine. But I know that I will encourage my children to venture out of the beef eating circle and find what their own preferences are. Not that my parent’s didn’t encourage my brothers and I to try new things. It’s just easier sometimes, to reap what you sow when you’re a farm family.

Here are a few pork recipes from two of my co-workers that I’ve enjoyed. They are both very easy for any family to prepare during a work week.

Yummy Pie

Pork Chops
by Susan Phillips

6 pork chops (thick)
6 large onion slices
1/3 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 c. chili sauce
1 ½ T. lemon juice
¾ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Arrange chops in pan or cookie sheet lined with foil. Top each chop with onion slice. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over chops. Cover with foil and bake 350 degrees for 1 -1 ½ hours.

Yummy Pie

Ham & Potato Frittata
by Julie Harker


Eight eggs, beaten
1 10 oz. can of Cream of Potato condensed soup
1/2 c. milk
1 c. cheddar cheese, grated
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. thyme, ground
Black Pepper, ground, to taste
1 C. ham, chopped

Mix eggs and milk. Stir in soup and garlic powder, ground thyme and pepper. Stir in ham and cheese. Pour into 9 x 13 buttered casserole dish. Bake 25 min. at 350 degrees. Serves plenty of people!

No comments: