October 20, 2006

Bread Making is an Art

Nothings better than the smell of homemade rolls baking in the oven...These were the smells that bring back happy memories of my grandmother's house. She was the best bread maker in Douglas County, as so many used to say. Her rolls were so light and buttery, I could eat a dozen myself when I was a kid.

Grandma would always bake fresh bread for every family function...holidays, family reunions, birthdays and just because. I would always sneak into her kitchen to take a whiff of the lovely bread smell that was always coming from her oven.

As I've gotton older, I've wanted to learn the way to make bread, just as my grandmother did. Unfortunately, bread making has not come as easy to me as I would have wished. I've had to really, really work at it and I'm still by no means as good as my grandmother. She told me the other day that bread making was an art. That is so true.

I can however make these wonderful rolls from Karla Mantle. She provided me this recipe for the company cookbook. You know it's a good recipe when it calls for Oleo....because it's an old recipe.

Yummy Pie


Homemade Rolls
by
Karla Mantle

2 pkgs. yeast
1 to 2 T. oleo
½ C. warm water
3 to 6 C. flour
1½ C. milk
1 tsp. salt
½ C. sugar

Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. Heat milk sugar and oleo until scorchy. Cool. Pour cooled milk mixture over flour and salt and mix well. Add yeast mixture. May need more flour so dough is not sticky. Knead until smooth. Let rise 20 minutes. Punch down and pinch off for rolls. Put in buttered pan and let rise. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have tried several times to make my mom's wonderful rolls, and I still need to perfect my technique. It is most definitely an art, and my mom is quite the artist. Hopefully this recipe will work for me to make some beautiful buns!