September 1, 2006

One potato, Two potato, Three potato, Four

As a child one of my favorite holiday treats from my Grandmother Pat was her famous sweet potatoes. I swear they always tasted like heaven to me!

Every Thanksgiving, Christmas and very special occasion she would bring out a dish of her perfectly cooked, shiny glazed sweet potatoes. Every bite was better than the first…I think what made them so special was they were just enough sweet and made with love from her.

After grandma passed, my mother began carrying on the tradition with sweet potatoes at every special meal. Eventually, mom’s began to taste just as wonderful as grandma’s did.

I have now cooked many holiday meals in my mother’s kitchen and my favorite dish to cook is they wonderful sweet potatoes. I know that usually sweet potatoes are only served as holiday meals, but I think they go perfect whenever.

Grandma Pat’s Sweet Potatoes
10 sweet potatoes
½ stick butter, plus a little more
1 c. sugar
½ c. pancake syrup

Boil sweet potatoes until they are soft. Let them cool. Then peel off skins, usually the skins will peel off very easily with a knife after they have been boiled.

Cut potatoes in half and make sure all slices are the same size. Place potatoes in a baking dish that has been prepared with butter or cooking spray. Dot butter all around dish, sprinkle sugar around and drizzle syrup. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Baste every 15 minutes.

* The key to this dish is to baste the potatoes every 15 minutes well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite foods in the world is sweet potatoes - I will definitely have to try this recipe! Have a wonderful day!

Ginger