September 20, 2006

Get Ready for this Casserole

Ok, I've posted a few casserole recipes before, but for me to actually post a casserole recipe takes a lot! The dish has to be absolutely amazing in my book, and unfortunately many of the casserole recipes I’ve tried always end in disappointment!

Now, I’m probably going to upset someone by saying this, but it’s my blog so I can say what I want to and if anyone disagrees there’s a COMMENT section for everyone’s voice to be heard.

Most casseroles taste like out of the box dishes to me. And if you know me I HATE those type of meals. They taste like cardboard… and most casseroles have no creative steps or ingredients. You all know what I’m talking about..a can of soup, meat or noodles, a little cheese, some salt and pepper…throw it into a dish, bake it and there’s dinner. Now come on! How creative is that? It’s not.

Last year at one of my company’s many food functions…a lady I work with, who I think is a wonderful cook, brought in this really pretty cheese casserole with sliced tomatoes garnishing the top of the dish. I thought how pretty and how I hadn’t ever seen a casserole like it before. So, I proceeded to try it out!

“OH WOW,” I remember saying to a co-worker. “This is wonderful.”


I finally wiggle the recipe out of Beth and here it is! And when you read the ingredients you’ll know why it’s sooooo good. Thanks Beth!


John Wayne's Cheese Casserole
by Beth Schoeneberg

2 4oz Cans of Diced Green Chiles
1 lb Monterey Jack cheese; coarsely grated
1 Tlb Flour
1 Can Evaporated milk; small (2/3 Cup)
1 lb Cheddar cheese; coarsely grated
Salt/pepper to taste
4 Eggs
6 to 8 slices of fresh tomatoes; thinly sliced

Separate egg yolks from egg whites. Beat evaporated milk and flour in with egg yolk... Season with salt and pepper. Add stiffly beaten egg whites, folding them in gently. In a deep, well buttered, casserole dish, mix the shredded cheese with the diced green chilies. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese and "ooze" it through with a fork. Place casserole in a preheated 325F degree oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove casserole and arrange the tomato slices on top of the casserole. Return to oven and bake an additional 30 minutes or until aknife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

No comments: