August 4, 2006

Cooking for Our Pets Again

As you may have seen before on my blog I like to include recipes for dog treats also! My pets our my kids right now and they get just as pampered as any human would.

Here are two new recipes that are sure to be a hit with you four-legged friends.

Peanut Butter Puppy Poppers

2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375'F. In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In another bowl, mix peanut butter and milk, then add to dry ingredients and mix well. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Bake for 20 minutes on a greased baking sheet until lightly brown. Cool on a rack, then store in an airtight container. This is the original recipe, but I have found the cookies burn easily.

Darlene's Favorite Dog "Cookie"

My favorite dog "cookie" (low-fat, low-calorie, about 20 calories per 4" cookie).
2 cups rye flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup warm water
1/2 cup white flour
1/4 cup cornmeal

Mix well. I usually add about 1/4 tsp either vanilla or mint flavor.
Roll out to 1/4" thick. Cut into shapes (I usually use about a 3-4" bone-shape cutter). Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pets cookie sounds so good that I think I will try it myself. "HA" "HA" "The Lone Raenger"