May 10, 2006

A Meal Fit for a King

I come from a beef farm. My parents raise registered Charolais and Angus cattle. I grew up on farm raised beef all my life. And trust me nothing is better.

Lately, though I've been cooking pork roast instead of your traditional beef roasts. Don't get me wrong I'm a strong supporter of our beef farmers, but I want to give credit where credit is due. The pork industry in this country is doing a bang-up job.

I can buy a 5 pound pork roast sometimes half the price as a beef roast. And when you are on a budget that is a big difference. I'm glad I don't have to buy my own beef and that I'm lucky enough to have parents that supply my family with beef, but I have to think of those that aren't able to purchase beef because of it's price. I will say though a good pork roast is just as good and half the price.


Six-Hour Pork Roast

2 tablespoons finely chopped
fresh sage
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
10 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dry white wine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (6-pound) boneless pork Boston shoulder roast (not tied)
Special equipment: Kitchen string
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.

Blend together sage, rosemary, garlic, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper in a food processor until a thick paste forms. With motor running, add wine and oil and blend until combined well.

If necessary, trim fat from top of pork, to leave a 1/8-inch thick layer of fat. Make 3 small incisions, each about 1-inch long and 1-inch deep, in each side of pork with a small sharp knife, and fill each with about 1 teaspoon herb paste. Spread remaining herb paste over pork, concentrating on boned side, and tie roast with kitchen string at 2-inch intervals.

Put pork, fat side up, in a roasting pan and roast in middle of oven 6 hours. Transfer roast to cutting board and let stand 15 minutes. Discard string and cut pork roast (with an electric knife if you have one) into thick slices.

No comments: