April 5, 2006

Oh Spring, How I Missed You

These lovely flowers mean one thing...

It's spring finally here in the Midwest...I have been waiting for the weather to warm up, the sun to begin to shine bright and to get my gardens ready.

In a few weeks I will be posting some photos of my herb and vegetable gardens. I have rosemary, parsley, lettuce and onions already growing. Plus, I have cabbage, chives, a few special flowers, more parsely, three types of peppers and basil that I have started in my house that are growing well and I will be transplanting in a few weeks, after the threat of frost is gone.

I'll be posting recipes that require some of these fresh from the garden goodies, so be watching for that.

Now, this special cheesecake (which is one of my favorite desserts) is from a farmer's wife in Indiana that bakes and sells all her goodies for extra spending money for herself. We all need some extra spending money to use on ourselves from time to time...

Citrus Cheesecake

1 c. graham cracker crumbs
¼ c. sugar
¼ c. butter, melted
3 (8oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1 (14 oz.) can of sweetened condensed milk
3 eggs
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
2 tsp. grated orange rind
2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Combine graham crackers crumbs, sugar, and butter; pres firmly on bottom on 9 inch springform pan.

In large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. On low speed add milk; mix until smooth.

Add eggs, lemon and orange rinds, and vanilla; mix until blended. Pour filling into pan.

Bake 50 -55 minutes or until center is set. Cool. Chill Garnish as desired. I like to use lemon or orange slices and mint.

2 comments:

Jean said...

How how I wish for my garden!! How lucky that you're weather is so warm already!!

This cheesecake sounds heavenly. Thanks so much for your recipes. I love to make homemade food. There's nothing like it!!

Lane said...

Yes everywehere across Missouri the flowers and budding and the trees are starting to color.

Let me know how you like the cheesecake.