January 23, 2006

Pass the "Ghetti" Please

A favorite dish at my house growing up was my mother's spaghetti and meatballs. Anyone that knows me will tell you that I love Italian food....any type, any sauce, any kind. My mother's lasagna (which I am planning on posting soon) and her "ghetti" as we called it around the house were my all-time favorites.

This recipe is super easy for you cooks-on-the-go and taste like you spent all day in the kitchen. I have also made my own tomato paste with my own home-grown tomatoes and the taste is out of this world too...Enjoy.

Baldwin Spaghetti and Meatballs

Meatballs:
Combine ½ lb. ground beef
1 egg well beaten
½ small onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbs. parsley
¼ C. bread crumbs
¼ tsp. salt
pinch of pepper
1 tsp. Oregano
2 tbs. of water
Mix and form balls. Brown in bacon grease (This is the key to great tasting meatballs.)

Sauce:
2 tbs. olive oil
3 (6 oz.) tomatoatoe paste
4 ½ C. water
Pinch of baking soda
1 small onion (finely cut)
3 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground sage
2 Thymethyme
1 tsp. pepper

Heat oil, add onion and brown. Add paste, mixed with water, sugar and seasonings. When sauce comes to boil, add baking soda. Add browned meatballs and simmer slowly for at least 1 hour.

Serve plate garnished with fParmesanmesan cheese.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mama Me Ya.....that looks good. Why bacon grease?

Lane said...

The bacon grease gives the meatballs a full-flavored taste and is excellent for browning the meatballs.